Wednesday, February 11, 2015

New travel plans!
and some shared travel inspiration to get you going too!

It has already been 1½ years ago since my last travel (unless you count a trip of two weeks trough Germany and France). I had settled down again, worked in my studio, have a job, a boyfriend and a lot of things to do on the side. Now it is time for me to get going again.
I miss to be surrounded by nature and being outside a lot. Sunshine! Forests! Ah and interesting work and people… New things to learn and new things to see. So here I go, I’ll leave somewhere in march.

Walking in nature :)

Making plans is exciting and intimidating at the same time. There are endless possibilities of where you could go and what you could do. It all depends on how far your imagination can stretch and how far you are willing to step out of your comfort zone. But then, if you try, it all doesn’t seem to be so scary anymore. (For now, some things are..)
I must admit. My adventures until now seemed pretty interesting and exciting and not so ordinary to a lot of people, but really, I am a traveling novice. I feel like a nomad-in-training at the moment.

Hitchhiking to Toulouse

So now I'm gathering information and ideas.. on where to go and how. I’ll put some useful links on the bottom of this post, if you’re interested. There are so many possibilities, it’s mind-boggling. (Maybe I’ll do an entire post with alternative travel-resources I gathered, later..)
First I'll head to Toulouse by very cheap bus, I intend stay there for a bit to see the city. Toulouse and I haven’t been introduced properly, to say the least. From there I’ll go on towards Santander. In that area I’ll go to the Donkey Paradise, where I will work as a volunteer for at least a month.

I am very much looking forward to that. I had some wonderful encounters with donkeys and beautiful donkey-travel-stories on my last trip. I met at least two people who had traveled by foot, with a donkey. That must be a wonderful, calm way of traveling. I got to meet some very kind donkeys too. They have something so gentle about them. Creatures that seem to be bursting with love-energy, or maybe that is just how I feel when I have contact with them. I’m really curious to see how it will be in real life, learning to work with donkeys and help out on this project. And after that there are some possibilities lined up for what I could do next, but it’s all open. The main thing I’m looking forward to is getting there, being there. Being in the moment and experiencing in the moment. Exactly what I am doing here, just with more donkeys, nature and if possible, more sun.


(This picture I borrowed from Donkey Paradise.. Check out their website here.)

Now.. Let’s share some of the travel-inspiration with you!

Blogs:
Here a great blog of the backpacker intern: http://thebackpackerintern.com
A dutch guy who made a video about how he wanted to exchange his work for food and a place to stay, got bucketloads of job offers and traveled all around the world.

For the dutchies reading this blog: http://vrouwopreis.nl
I really like this one, as it’s a girl about my age traveling alone too. She shows what it can be like (and how not-scary it actually is) and gives tips and tricks.. How much do I need to pack? What places are great to visit? Etc..

100 things learnt on the road:
http://www.universal-traveller.com/100-things-i-have-learnt-while-travelling-around-the-world/
A nice, quick list to read and start wanting to go and pack your bag right now!

Hitchhiking.. how does it work?
Hitchwiki: http://hitchwiki.org
A great resource if you want to go hitchhiking. Find out what works best in what country and what rules you need to know. Also there is a world map where fellow hitchhikers share the spots they tried and wether it was any good or not.

Some short films to boost your travel-inspiration:
3 years of travel in 3 minutes:

My travels wouldn’t look like this, as I’m into other kinds of parties and experiences mostly, but the view on life and freedom is great!

‘Lift’, a 10 minute hitchhiking documentary:

Very inspiring if you’re not familiar with hitchhiking yet, are just starting out or if you are a worrying mother who thinks there are many bad, scary people out on the road.

Then for cheap buses:
www.megabus.com (very, very cheap, but probably very uncomfortable..)
www.eurolines.com (also great, a bit less cheap..)

No comments: